Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mistakes

I have never been so excited to hear about a mistake before in my life. I'll condense this story as much as I can, so here we go.
I'm a college girl. I have tuition and housing to pay. My only option really is financial aid. So like any good college girl, I started my FAFSA at the end of July to ensure plenty of time for it to process. I wasn't really worried because last semester it went off without a hitch. Why should this time be any different? Well, maybe because 80% of students here at USU-Eastern got audited. So in the middle of September I had to fill out MORE paperwork. So come the first week of October I had full confidence that I would go up to the Financial Aid office and they would tell me that the pell grant had already been applied to my account. It would take 10 minutes.

I was so wrong.

They told me I didn't qualify for any pell grants. They also told me that I was offered a loan of $5,500 but I would need to make payments on it while in school. Oh, and I still had to come up with $900 per semester.

All I could do was cry. And pray. And cry some more. And call my mom and cry. It was getting to be ridiculous. I had to look at all of my options but nothing felt right. I went back and talked to the Financial Aid people, and they couldn't really do anything for me. I was so screwed!

And then my mom came to my rescue. She realized I had come to the end of my rope and called the Dean of Students. I'm not sure how he and Financial Aid communicated, but I got a call on Friday that was the sweetest call I had ever received. Financial Aid made a $10,000 mistake on my paperwork and no one had caught it. So now I qualify for some pell grants and a loan that I don't have to make payments on while I'm in school.

I know this story probably means nothing to the average reader, but it strengthened my testimony of prayer in so many ways. I think I get so caught up in myself sometimes that I forget that God is there to hear me. He wants to bless me. All I have to do is ask.

xoxo, Lisha